Tusker Dies Of Electrocution In Tamar; Toll Eight This Year | Ranchi News


RANCHI: An adult male elephant died after being electrocuted by a sagging 11,000-volt overhead electrical wire in Chogadiha village under Barwadih panchayat in Tamar block of Ranchi district in the early hours on Friday.
This is the eighth wild elephant that has died of unnatural causes in Jharkhand this year.
The tusker, aged a little over 20 years, was found lying dead in the fields just outside the village by local residents around 6 am. On being informed by the villagers, police alerted local forest officials about the incident.
“The elephant ventured into the village in the wee hours and came in contact with the high-voltage power transmission wire, which was hanging precariously low. The animal died on the spot,” Tamar police station in-charge Deepak Kumar Singh told TOI.
A team of forest officials, led by Khunti divisional forest officer Kuldeep Meena, reached Chogadiha and took over the tusker’s corpse. The officials inspected the probable causes of the tusker’s death before dispatching its carcass to the veterinary college in Ranchi for autopsy.
A large crowd gathered around the tusker’s corpse as police teams and forest guards struggled to keep them at bay.
The villages in and around Tamar, Bundu and Silli blocks in Ranchi are parts of a migratory route of wild elephants between the forests of Jharkhand and West Bengal. These villages often suffer damages to life and property as wild elephants stroll around for food.
While Meena did not respond to TOI’s calls, forest department sources said it plans to seek an explanation from the electricity department as to why the overhead transmission lines were hanging low.


Source link